Tufts Health Plan Foundation announced 50 community organizations across the region, including 10 in Massachusetts, will receive a total of $500,000 in Momentum Fund grants to advance health equity and support community resilience. The organizations serve people disproportionately affected by the pandemic after years of system inequities, especially older people.
“We are proud to support these nonprofit organizations who provide critical community resources to help address social determinants of health” said Cain Hayes, president and CEO of Point32Health, the parent company of Tufts Health Plan. “These organizations are uniquely positioned to bring forward community solutions as we rebuild and recover from this pandemic, and work together to support, advocate and advance healthier lives for people throughout New England.”
The 2021 Momentum Fund grants support organizations that improve nutrition security; make access to transportation more equitable; address social isolation and mental health; deliver reliable and clear COVID-19 information; support caregivers; and advance workforce solutions. The grants were informed by more than 100 conversations with community members.
“Nonprofit organizations are delivering for communities and giving us hope that we can conquer systemic inequities. We must harness the community power and resilience demonstrated during the COVID-19 pandemic to show us a new way forward,” said Nora Moreno Cargie, president of Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Foundation and Tufts Health Plan Foundation and vice president for corporate citizenship at Point32Health. “We collaborated with our Harvard Pilgrim Health Care colleagues to expand our Momentum Fund grants and include investments in ten Maine organizations.”
A total of 10 organizations in each state — Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire — will receive unrestricted grants due to the challenges many have experienced during the COVID-19 pandemic. Resources can be used to address the most urgent community needs.
Here are the 10 organizations from Massachusetts receiving support from the Momentum Fund:
- Berkshire Immigrant Center, Pittsfield: provides comprehensive, affordable legal services, local resources, and education for immigrant older people in Berkshire county
- Coastline Elderly Services Inc., New Bedford: develops, provides, and coordinates a range of home care services designed to support and maintain independence for older adults living in community
- FriendshipWorks, Boston: reduces social isolation in Boston by matching volunteers with older adults in need of assistance or companionship
- Lowell Community Health Center: provides caring, quality, and culturally competent health services to the people of Greater Lowell, regardless of financial status; to reduce health disparities and enhance the health of the Greater Lowell community
- Massachusetts Alliance of Portuguese Speakers (MAPS), Cambridge: works with and for Brazilian, Cabo Verdean, Portuguese and other Portuguese-speaking older adults to increase access and remove barriers to health, education and social services across Eastern Mass.
- Mattapan Food and Fitness Coalition: brings together residents and older adults to improve the food and physical activity environments in Mattapan
- Quincy Asian Resources, Inc.: improves the social, cultural, economic and civic lives of immigrants and older people in order to benefit Quincy and its neighboring communities
- Revitalize Community Development Corporation, Springfield: provides supportive service and perform critical repairs, modifications and rehabilitation on the homes of older adults, veterans and people with disabilities in Springfield, allowing people to age in community
- Spanish American Center, Leominster: provides services to older adults in Leominster, including information, legal, health, referral and advocacy services
- The Southeast Asian Coalition, Worcester: supports Southeast Asian Immigrants, the Refugee Food Pantry and provides direct social support services for older adults in Central Massachusetts