AARP is currently offering a prime opportunity for cities and towns seeking to kick-start or strengthen age-friendly efforts in the form of of Community Challenge grants to communities around the country.
The grants are aimed at funding projects that improve livability for all residents. Applications are due June 30, 2017 and all projects must be completed by November 1, 2017. You can find details here as well as in the attached Challenge Announcement document. I’ve also attached a samples of: the application (attachment A), the required After Action report (attachment B), and a list of project examples (attachment C). Submit your application today through AARP.org/CommunityChallenge.
2017 Challenge Timeline
- June 30: Application deadline
- August 3: AARP sends Letters of Agreement to grantees
- August 10: Deadline for all Letters of Agreement to be returned to AARP
- August 23: Grantees announced
- Nov. 1: Projects completed
- Nov. 13-17: Select projects profiled at National Livable Communities Conference
- Dec. 1: After-action report deadline.
The program is open to the following types of organizations located in the project community:
- 501(C)(3) and 501(C)(4) Non-profits
- Government entities
The following projects are NOT eligible for funding:
- Partisan, political or election related activities
- Studies with no follow-up action
- Publication of books or reports
- The acquisition of land and/or buildings
- Research and development for a for-profit endeavor
- Sponsorships of other organizations’ events or activities
- Planning and related support
- The promotion of a for-profit entity and/or its products and services