MHAC is continuing to collect and share updates on COVID-19 from the state government, federal agencies like the Centers for Disease Control, and other key stakeholders.
Updates related to COVID-19 are available on the “News” section of our website. They are intended to help and inform a wide range of individuals and partners, including communities working to become more age- and dementia-friendly.
The resources below are broken down into priority guidance for all stakeholders and by Age- and Dementia Friendly theme. Additional and more general resources relative to these themes are available in an online toolkit here.
Those interested in accessing funding opportunities can visit the Philanthropy Massachusetts webpage on “Disaster and Emergency Relief Resource.”
Priority COVID-19 Guidance
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) – COVID-19 Guidance for Older Adults
- Mass.gov – Department of Public Health – Details about the public health response to the COVID-19 pandemic in Massachusetts.
- Receive Text Alerts by texting “COVIDMA” to 888-777
- Printable COVID-19 Fact Sheets in languages other than English
- World Health Organization
Resources by Age- and Dementia Friendly Theme
Access, Equity, and Cultural Inclusion
- Printable COVID-19 Fact Sheets in languages other than English (Mass.gov/DPH)
- COVID-19 Fact Sheets in 35 Languages – COVID-19 Health Literacy Project from Harvard Medical School students and faculty
- Mass. Commission on Deaf and Hard of Hearing – A Visual Tool for clinical and social support providers of deaf and hard of hearing individuals.
- National Asian Pacific Center on Aging – “What you Need to Know” webpages in multiple languages.
- VisionServe Alliance – Resources relative to COVID-19 for organizations serving those with vision loss.
- Mass. Legal Services – COVID-19-related legal issues resources of interest to low-income individuals and families.
- Diverse Elders Coalition – Resources to assist diverse older adults, including LGBTQ individuals. Stay up-to-date through their blog for additional information.
Outdoor Spaces and Buildings
- “Accessing Age-Friendly Parks, Trails and Community Walks During COVID-19” – (MHAC blog) A collection of directories and resources from WalkBoston, the Mass. Department of Conservation and Recreation, and the Metropolitan Area Planning Council.
Social Inclusion and Participation
- Virtual Memory Cafes for people living with dementia and their caregivers.
- National Aging and Disability Transportation (NADTC) – COVID-19 resources include everything from “Operating Volunteer Driver Programs in a Pandemic” to “Cleaning and Disinfection for Community Facilities.”
Civic Participation and Employment
- AARP: 2020 Census – Resources in multiple languages and Census-related job opportunities
Communication and Information
- World Health Organization – Social stigma associated with COVID-19
- Frameworks Institute – Framing COVID-19. Communication tips courtesy of “Changing the Narrative” of Colorado and Janine Vanderberg.
- Alzheimer’s Association of MA/NH – Virtual Programs and support groups for people living with dementia and their caregivers.
- Alzhiemer’s Association Helpline is available 24/7 at 1-800-272-3900 to help anyone needing assistance with dementia-related challenges during this difficult time.
- AARP TeleTown Halls – Access a weekly live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall here on Thursdays at 1 p.m. ET. Please bookmark this page and join them each week for the latest information on the coronavirus by calling toll-free 855-274-9507. All of these virtual events are recorded and available on the same webpage to listen live.
Services (Business, Health, and Community)
- The John A. Hartford Foundation – Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Resources for Older Adults, Family Caregivers and Health Care Providers
- Massachusetts Councils on Aging – Alerts, resources, and data relative to local councils on aging. Navigate their website for other helpful information.
- Massachusetts Municipal Association – News and resources for local government leaders
- Massachusetts Health & Hospital Association – webpage full of resources for hospitals, other clinical providers, and caregivers.
- National League of Cities (NLC) – COVID-19 Local Action Tracker – Municipal practices and policies in response to the epidemic. This online spreadsheet can be filtered to view “population impacted,” which includes “seniors,” “low income,” and “general public.”