The AARP Livability Index is a signature initiative of the Public Policy Institute to measure the quality of life in American communities across multiple dimensions, including housing, transportation, neighborhood characteristics, environment, health, opportunity, and civic and social engagement.
Several Massachusetts communities, including Cambridge, Watertown and Belmont, are featured as high-scoring in different-sized cities.
An interactive, easily navigated website, the AARP Livability Index allows users to compare communities, adjust scores based on personal preferences and learn how to take action to make their own communities move livable.
Learn more about the top scoring communities in the United States and use the tool by visiting www.aarp.org/livabilityindex
New Features in the 2022 Livability Index
- Updated Data — The latest indicator data for each category of livability.
- Redesigned Look — Navigate and locate information and resources in an easier and more clear and concise way.
- Key Policy Addition — Accessible Dwelling Units (ADUs) are included for the first time as a new state-level policy measure, bringing attention to this important tool for creating livability.
- Homebuyer Help — In AARPʼs collaboration with the National Association of REALTORS®, AARP Livability Index scores can be a helpful factor in the house hunting process for those working with a NAR member.
- Top Scorers — Learn more about the AARP Livability Indexʼs top scoring places that are high performers across the community livability factor the Index measures.