On December 31, the FCC launched the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). This program, created by Congress in the Infrastructure and Jobs Act, is a longer-term replacement for the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) program.
Communities working to become age- and dementia friendly are encouraged to promote this opportunity to help ensure households can afford the internet connections they need for work, school, health care, and more.
The FCC also launched a toolkit of materials for partners to download and customize to meet their needs. More materials will be added in the coming weeks.
The ACP provides a discount of up to $30 per month toward internet service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on qualifying tribal lands. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.
Enrollment in the ACP is now open for households with at least one member qualifying under any of the following criteria:
- Has an income that is at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines.
- Participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, Federal Public Housing Assistance, SSI, WIC, or Lifeline.
- Participates in tribal-specific programs, such as Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribal TANF, or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations.
- Is approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision.
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year.
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income program.
The 9 million households fully enrolled in the EBB program as of December 31, 2021 will continue to receive their current monthly benefit until March 1, 2022. More information about steps current EBB recipients must take to continue receiving the ACP benefit after March 1, 2022 will be available in the coming weeks.
For application questions, email ACPSupport@usac.org or call 877-384-2575